Monday, October 18, 2004

Life on the farm...
This weekend was quite an experience. I woke up at 4am on Saturday morning and hopped in the X with my cousin. We headed off on yet another glorious journey to Sacramento. My cousin's best friend's parents own a ranch. It's called "Coffee Pot Ranch", they have 20 acres with such animals as hogs, cows, sheep, and 5 australian shepards! Every year, the parents throw a customer appreciation party for their friends, family and all of the loyal customers that buy their livestock. My cousin goes every year, so she asked if I wanted to come. I had the weekend off, miraculously, so I went. And just as the rain refreshed the land, I was refreshed also. The party wasn't that great. There was a good band and all, and some very ummy homemade chili, but it wasn't my thing. I'm realizing more and more that this 21 thing isn't all that spectacular.
I went to bed when everything started to die down, I slept on the floor in the living room. When I started to wake up the next morning, I heard rain drops. And I also heard the parents talking. They were sitting at the table, drinking coffee, and talking about everything that went well the night before. It was a perfect morning. I was in such a good mood when I got up! The dad was about to go out and feed the hogs, when I asked if I could help. He had no objection at all, so I got some rubber farm boots on and headed out the the barn with him. Ok, you know the movie Babe, or Charolette's Web? Yeah, pigs aren't cute. At all. Baby ones are, but that's it. So I fed those fatties, with all I had in me and then later on, I got to hook the straw blocks and take them into the barn. It was so great. When my cousin and I were saying goodbye, they told me that when I lived in Sac, I could come over anytime I wanted to. It was cool. I had a way better feeling about Sacramento this weekend. I kind of feel like I belong there now. It was a huge relief.
Now I'm back in Santa Maria. I know I need to cherish every last moment I have here, but I just want January to come. And I feel horrible for feeling that way, but it's how I feel. I know it will hit me soon, the fact that when I move I'll know 3 people, and get very homesick, and lonely. So I'll look forward to that moment- when I realize that it really is soon, and I really haven't done anything different. I love you guys.

No comments: